Cheese is one of the most favorite foods for most of us. However, lack of quality cheese products in the market and exorbitant prices prevent us from having a good mouthful of this delicacy. One another alternative option that you have is to make your own cheese. This is the best way to ensure you get quality cheese; you also have the option to store it up in bulk, as the expense to prepare it is considerably cheaper. If you are looking for a good cheddar cheese recipe, we have briefed one for you right here. This cheddar cheese recipe requires minimum ingredients and is easy to follow.
Four gallons of whole cow’s milk
One-tablespoon mesophilic powder
One-tablespoon coarse salt
Cheddar Cheese Recipe
- Take a clean large pot and pour all the milk into it. Heat it until it reaches 86F (30C).
- Pour the mesophilic powder into the pot and stir it well. Keep stirring until the powder is dissolved. Now, leave the pot as it is for 45 minutes. Also, make sure that the temperature of the pot remains the same, i.e. 86F.
- Once the curds are set, cut them into cubes. The cubes should be of ½-inch size.
- For the next 40 minutes, keep increasing the temperature until it reaches 97F. Keep stirring the solution slowly along the process.
- For the next 30 minutes, allow the curds to remain at a temperature of 97F. You may stir slowly to make sure that they do not clump together.
- To prevent disturbing the curds, stir them properly in the last five minutes.
- Take a strainer, place cheesecloth over it and then strain the curds. Now, arrange whey to be kept in the pot. Make sure that the whey covers almost 1/3 of the pot. Then, place the strainer containing the curds inside the pot along with the whey. Cover the pot appropriately and maintain a temperature of 97F (39C) for an hour.
- Once you have taken the strainer out of the pot, take the curds out of it. Slice these curds into thin strips. Now, mix the strips with coarse salt.
- Into a press, place all the strips and let them sit overnight. The next day, take the cheese out of the press and place them in a container. Let them dry for a few minutes.
Your delicious homemade cheddar cheese is now ready! You can make proportionate changes in the quantities of ingredients in this cheddar cheese recipe to make as much cheese as you prefer.